Hearing loss affects approximately 466 million people across the globe. Most receive a significant boost to their quality of life through the use of hearing aids.
Fortunately, the micro-digital technology world has made a powerful impact on the hearing aid industry, using innovative technologies to enhance the lives for the hearing impaired.
Me and my staff can barely contain our excitement when it comes to the latest Android feature for hearing aids that is a game-changer for the hard of hearing in Southwestern Louisiana and the wider world.
Android’s New Sound Notifications
There are certain sounds around us that signal the need for urgent attention.
Sounds like a baby crying, a dog barking, smoke alarms, running water, or someone who is in distress.
These sounds might go unnoticed by someone hard of hearing or who is wearing headphones.
That is why Android rolled out its Sound Notifications app.
Though other sound alert apps are available, Sound Notifications is the first all-in-one app capable of detecting nearby critical sounds and sends push notifications to your Android device.
Along with a tone, a flash from the camera light on your device, and vibrations, this feature gets your attention when it identifies sounds that require serious attention, making it possible for the hearing impaired to rest easy or get a good night’s sleep without worry because the app will alert you whenever there is a noise requiring urgent attention.
The app works with all Android compatible devices, including wearables.
Another beneficial feature is its timeline view, which allows you a snapshot of the sounds preceding the alert to investigate its possible causes.
The following steps will provide you with access to Sound Notifications on your Android device:
- Open Settings
- Find the Accessibility menu and open it.
- Open Sound Notifications
Inside the Sound Notifications menu, you can download Live Transcribe and Sound Notifications from the Google Play Store, and then return to Settings to enable the feature.
Other Recent Innovations
Though Sound Notifications is the newest Android app to assist the hard of hearing, there are other recent innovations already available.
Here are just a few apps capable of providing safety, convenience, and enhanced communication for the hearing impaired, such as:
- Smoke, Fire, and Carbon Monoxide Detectors with extra loud alarms and flashing strobes as well as bed vibrating alarms placed under your pillow or mattress. Some apps detect the pitch of your existing alarms and produce additional alerts to get your attention.
- Doorbell and Phone Signalers have been around for a while, alerting you with flashing light, vibrations, and text messages. They also work with security systems to alert you when a window or door is opened in your home.
- Weather Alert apps provide the hearing impaired with notification of dangerous storms.
- Text to Speech apps allow those hard of hearing to communicate with others in the hearing world.
- Remote Assistance apps also allow those who need help with their hearing aids to contact their hearing care provider for needed adjustments to their hearing aids or technical support from wherever they are.
- Wearable devices with connectivity to Android devices and/or hearing aids also help enhance how those hard of hearing remain safe and communicate with the world around them.
Acadian Hearing Provides the Hearing Technology You Need
As technology advances, the hearing impaired are seeing more favorable innovations designed to meet their needs.
Sound Notifications represents a major step toward a promising future for those who require a little extra help detecting critical sounds they might otherwise miss.
My team and I at Acadian Hearing provide hearing care and hearing technology with connectivity to Android devices, allowing you to take advantage of Sound Notifications and the many apps designed to assist those with hearing loss.
Contact our team for additional insight into how to link up your hearing aids to your smartphone.